It can be difficult to concentrate and study, especially when our brains take in about 11 million bits of information per second! If you struggle to concentrate and stay focused on your studies, the following study tips can be helpful:
- Keep two to-do lists: One to-do list for everything you need to do. Keep this list away when you are studying. The second to-do list should only contain the three items you are going to complete next; nothing goes on this list unless something else comes off!
- Make a study timetable: Ask your BrightSparkz tutor to help you set up a timetable that fits in with your specific schedule and needs.
- Find a suitable study environment and stay away from your cellphone!
- Set study goals: What do you want to achieve? Now do it!
- Reward yourself: Set a goal for how much work you will learn in a specified amount of time. When you have achieved this goal, reward yourself with something you enjoy.
- Learn to say no: Even though seeing your friends is more enjoyable, a holiday spent with your friends while knowing you achieved good results is even better!
- Post-Its: Stick them around your room to remind you of your priorities or even use them to remember those important points for a test!
Foods that help you concentrate
- Nuts with dark chocolate: Nuts and seeds are natural vitamin E antioxidants and lessen cognitive decline as we age. Dark chocolate also contains caffeine to enhance focus.
- Avocados and whole grains: This helps with blood flow, which helps when you are stuck studying for extended periods.
- Fish: Many refer to it as brain food
- Blueberries: Are very nutritious and studies show that they can help improve learning and muscle function.
- Water: Your body becomes tired and dehydrated when you do not drink enough water. This makes you lose focus and to become tired. Keep a bottle of water next to you when you study.
Written by Kristin Naude
BrightSparkz specialist tutor – Maths Literacy, English, History and Biology
Do you have any good tips you would like to add? Feel free to add your comment!
Good luck and have fun!